The Pascal, Cayley and Fermat Contests are an opportunity for students to have fun and to develop their mathematical problem-solving ability.
- Students in Grade 9 or below are eligible to write the Pascal Contest.
- Students in Grade 10 or below are eligible to write the Cayley Contest.
- Students in Grade 11 or below are eligible to write the Fermat Contest.
Written in February. Visit Our Contests for dates and deadlines for the current year.
- 25 multiple-choice questions
- 3 parts. Parts A and B follow a traditional multiple-choice format where the answer is A, B, C, D or E. In Part C, participants select a whole number from 0 to 99.
- 60 minutes
- Score out of 150
- Written by individuals on paper or online
- Some calculators permitted
Questions are based on curriculum common to all Canadian provinces. The last few questions are designed to test ingenuity and insight. Rather than testing content, most of the contest problems test logical thinking and mathematical problem-solving.
- The Pascal, Cayley and Fermat Contests can be written on paper or online. Teachers can select the mode of writing that best suits their needs when submitting a contest order.
- Contest Supervisors can arrange for students to write the contests in the classroom or remotely and are responsible for ensuring that students are supervised appropriately.
- For students writing the contests online, the Contest Supervisor will provide each participant with a link and a password to access our secure Online Contest Platform where they will enter their solutions on contest day.
- Completed paper contest materials must be shipped back to the CEMC for marking.
- Results for both paper and online contests will be sent to the Contest Supervisor by email and will also be available in our Contest Supervisor Portal six to eight weeks after the contest date.
- Visit Contest Supervision to learn more about what’s involved in supervising a CEMC contest.
Results and Recognition
To learn more about our contests, follow the links below to get started:
Get in Touch
Questions? We invite you to contact us.