Canadian Team Mathematics Contest
The Canadian Team Mathematics Contest (CTMC) is a fun and challenging team competition.
Each team consists of 6 secondary school students. The students may be in any combination of grades.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
The competition consists of:
- team questions, where the students determine answers as a team
- individual problems
- math relays, where a student's answer to a question is one of the numbers needed
by teammates to solve the next question
- In-School Participation: One teacher and groups of six students participate at their own school, on any date and in any 3 hour window of time, but not before Wednesday April 10 from 1:30 until 4:30 pm.
- OR At-UW Participation: Six students and one teacher from a Canadian school participate on the campus of University of Waterloo, from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm.
- For a $50 registration fee, a school can have students write the contest in their own school.
- The day before the contest, we email the contest materials and instructions to the supervisor, who then photocopies the materials and administers the contest at the school. All questions are graded on answer only.
- The supervisor may be a teacher, administrator or another adult volunteer.
- As many teams of six students as desired may write the contest for a single $50 fee.
- The contest can be written on any date and in any 3 hour window of time, but not before Wednesday April 10 from 1:30 until 4:30 pm.
- Supervisors may invite students from another school to join them at their own school for this event.
- The goal of the event is challenge and fun more than competition. After the event, supervisors will receive statistics about the scores of At-UW teams, to get a sense of their relative standing.
- Registration is now closed.
- The event runs from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm.
- There are a limited number of spaces for teams to participate at UW.
- An At-UW team includes six students and one teacher from a school. There is a limit of one At-UW team per school.
- The cost for at At-UW team is $330. This includes lunch and dinner for the teacher and students.
- At-UW teams must arrange and pay for their own transportation to UW. No overnight accommodations are available on campus. We can recommend nearby hotels.
- Registration is now closed.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for requesting At-UW Participation is Wednesday, March 20, 2013, or sooner if all spots are taken.
- Payment will be accepted by invoice only. Payment is due by Monday April 1, 2013.
- Because of this year’s situation in Ontario, a team may be accompanied to UW by an adult coach who is not a teacher. In this case we ask for a letter of permission from the principal, designating by name the coach and the six students.
- It is not necessary to provide student names or dietary information to secure the spot. Teachers may finalize the line-up up to the date of the contest without notifying UW.
We recommend that students spend some time preparing for our contests by trying to solve problems. Many teachers make this a regular classroom activity, and use
past contest problems as part of their regularly assigned work.
A set of sample questions are also available.
Further details are available from Judith Koeller.